Nikon® Coolpix S3100 review, 10.0 out of 10 based on 1 rating
The Nikon Coolpix S3100 is an entry-level compact camera that’s big on style and takes good pictures for the price. The S3100 is a great option for people looking for an affordable point and shoot camera. We’re going to take a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of this particular model from Nikon. Read on to find out more.
Nikon Coolpix S3100 advantages
The S3100 has numerous features that photographers will enjoy.
- Portability and style: The S3100 is quite compact and thin. At 2.3 inches tall by 3.7 inches wide and only 0.8 deep it will fit in almost any pocket you can imagine. You’ll be able to take it with you anywhere. The camera also comes in seven different colors, so you can get one that matches your personality with no problem.
- HD video: If you want good quality video then you’ll be impressed with the S3100. The camera shoots high definition video in 720p. It’s not full 1080p, but it definitely beats the standard definition you’ll get with other models in this price range.
- Affordability: You can get the S3100 for a very decent price, which is a big plus. Price isn’t everything in photography, but it certainly helps when you won’t be out a huge amount of cash to get this model.
Nikon Coolpix S3100 disadvantages
You might want to consider some of these disadvantages before you make a final decision about the S3100.
- Image quality: If image quality is your main concern you might have some issues with the S3100. In general, you’ll be more than satisfied with the camera’s performance. However, if you’re going to be shooting in situations with low light and high ISO you might not get the best quality images because of pixelation and noise. The problem is most evident when you try to print out the images at a high resolution. If you’ll be using the images online or on a screen then it won’t be an issue.
- Image stabilization: The second issue we’d like to discuss also has to do with the image quality in a way. In this case, it’s more about when you’re taking the photo. The S3100 uses electronic image stabilization, which is less effective than other methods. If you’re moving around when taking the photos you might not get the best results.
The Nikon Coolpix S3100 is a great little camera for anyone who wants a stylish entry-level point and shoot. If you’re looking for a different model you can look at one of our other point and shoot comparisons. The Nikon Coolpix S3100 is a solid performer in a slick package.