gGadget > Canon® Rebel T3i Tips: Using Creative Filters
The Canon Rebel T3i is the first Canon Rebel model to feature something called creative filters. You can use the creative filters on your Canon T3i camera to add various artistic effects to pictures you’ve taken. If you’re the owner of a Canon EOS 60D or Canon PowerShot, you may already be familiar with using creative filters. Using them is pretty simple once you get the hang of it. If you’re wondering what exactly the T3i’s creative filters are and how exactly to use those filters, read on.
The Canon Rebel T3i camera comes with five different creative filters:
• Grainy Black and White – When you apply this filter, your pictures will have the granular, black and white appearance of a vintage photograph.
• Soft Focus – This filter tones down the reflection of light in pictures and softens overall visual effects.
• Toy Camera – If you want to darken a picture’s corners and distort its colors, the toy camera creative filter is a good choice.
• Miniature – When you apply the “Miniature” filter to an image, the image’s subjects appear like a reduced-scale model or diorama.
• Fish Eye – This filter replicates the effects of using a fish eye camera lens. The “Fish Eye” filter dramatically magnifies the center and distorts the edges of an image.
To use the Canon T3i’s creative filters, you’ll need to follow a few simple steps:
1. Click on the fifth tab from the left on the main menu toolbar that looks like a play symbol, and select “Creative filters.”
2. Once you’ve selected creative filters, you’ll be able to scroll through all the images you’ve taken on the T3i. Select an image you want to add a creative filter to. You can select an image by pressing the “SET” button on your camera.
3. When you select an image, a creative filters menu toolbar will pop up on the lower left-hand side of the screen. You can then scroll through the different creative filters to test out their effects on the image.
4. Once you have found a creative filter you like, you can apply it to your picture by pressing your camera’s “SET” button. If you would prefer to only add the effects of a creative filter to a portion of a photo, you can use your camera’s arrow buttons to select the image area you want to be affected before you press “SET.”
5. After you’ve applied a creative filter, a message will appear on screen that prompts you to save the new picture. You can save the picture with the added creative filter by selecting “OK.”
Now that you know what the T3i’s creative filters are and how to use them, it’s time to experiment with all the cool visual effects these creative filters offer!
Want to learn more about what your T3i can do? Check out our post on how to take video snapshots on the Canon T3i.